Navigation X
ALERT
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

cracked.io | Best Forum Around | Free Premium Accounts

Amazon staff reportedly listen to Alexa recordings

by haglin - 13 April, 2019 - 07:21 AM
This post is by a banned member (haglin) - Unhide
haglin  
Registered
Threads
5 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 13 April, 2019 - 07:22 AM by haglin.)
Amazon is insisting it takes its customers' privacy and security seriously, after a Bloomberg report found recordings of voice commands made to AI-powered voice assistant Alexa could be heard by more people than expected.

Bloomberg News reported Amazon employees around the world listened to recordings from smart speakers as part of improving its machine learning in assisting customers.

Like Apple's Siri and the Google Home devices, Alexa is a digital assistant built into several Amazon devices.

Amazon does make it clear that it uses data "to train our speech recognition and natural language understanding systems", with users given the chance to opt out. But it does not explicitly say that training involves workers in the United States, India, Costa Rica and other nations around the world.

The report said Alexa's auditors do not have access to customers' full names or address, but they do have serial numbers and account numbers associated with the device.

"We take the security and privacy of our customers' personal information seriously," Amazon said in a statement.

"We only annotate an extremely small sample of Alexa voice recordings in order [to] improve the customer experience. For example, this information helps us train our speech recognition and natural language understanding systems, so Alexa can better understand your requests, and ensure the service works well for everyone.

"Employees do not have direct access to information that can identify the person or account as part of this workflow.

"All information is treated with high confidentiality and we use multi-factor authentication to restrict access, service encryption and audits of our control environment to protect it."

Amazon's international and Australian offices have been contacted for comment.

The company says on its website that Alexa devices only send recordings back to Amazon servers if the device hears a "wake word" like "Alexa", "Echo" or "computer".

When the wake word is detected, the light ring at the top of the device turns blue, indicating it is recording and sending the command to the server.

But devices can be fooled by ambient, local noise, like loud television sets, and regardless of whether the activation of the device is mistaken or not, the Amazon reviewers are required to transcribe the recording.

When the reviewers hear private information that has been accidentally recorded, they are meant to flag it as critical data and move on to the next recording.

It is not the first time Alexa devices have copped flack over what it records, after a family in the United States saw a private conversation mistakenly recorded and sent to a random contact.

A family member said she received a call from an employee of her husband who urged them to unplug their Amazon Echo devices, which use the Alexa software.

Amazon described the event as an "extremely rare occurrence", saying in a statement that it believed parts of background conversation were mistakenly heard by the device as "Alexa", a wake word.

The company also promised to fix a bug in its virtual assistant after reports the device was randomly laughing at people.
Amazon, meanwhile, has also been in the spotlight for its policies surrounding its employees in its warehouses, after workers said the workplace was built around a culture of fear.

Workers said they were set high-pressure targets that made them feel they could not go to the toilet and sometimes pushed them to cut safety corners.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-12/a...t/10998254

This should surprise absolutely no one.  kek

I guess I am surprised Amazon was the first one caught. I figured it would be Google.
This post is by a banned member (Toluxer) - Unhide
Toluxer  
Registered
Threads
5 Years of service
Thats fucking spooky, I went to the amazon headquarters last year as a after school thing and there were people from universities building on the firmware to make it collect data better and more user friendly. They were pretty shitty modifications but still, Ima unplug the one in my dads office cause thats privacy invasion and human rights violation in a way.  Pepi
   WHEN YOU ARE CURRENTLY READING MY THREAD         
:feelsgood: LEAVE A LIKE OR I WILL REPORT YOU FOR LEECHING :pepegun:
This post is by a banned member (Linq) - Unhide
Linq  
Registered
Threads
4 Years of service
Bet they have listened to some good sex audio.