Navigation X
ALERT
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

cracked.io | Best Forum Around | Free Premium Accounts

Does hacking feel like a victimless crime?

by CaptechPhD - 02 February, 2024 - 12:25 AM
This post is by a banned member (CaptechPhD) - Unhide
Threads
There has been an effort to apply traditional theories of crime to blackhat/criminal hacking. As I continue my studies in this area, I can see how some theories may fit but certainly there are key differences between committing crimes in the physical world and hacking. As I have spoken to current and former blackhats, I often hear that these individuals are generally law abiding citizens in the physical world. 

I believe this would provide some support for disinhibition and rationalization/minimization theories. In your opinion, is it easier to ignore the presence of a victim and the harm caused when that victim is an unknown entity behind a computer system? 

Is it harder to concede that hacking into a computer system without authorization is a crime because any harm caused is not immediately apparent?

Love to hear your thoughts.
This post is by a banned member (2BEE) - Unhide
2BEE  
Supreme
Threads
2 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 02 February, 2024 - 12:45 AM by 2BEE. Edited 1 time in total.)
The only reason most of the hackers are "law abiding citizen irl" is because they are either built like slenderman or like an overgrown potato, they dont have the guts or abilities to do anything in real life.
Hacking isnt a "victimless" crime and the only reason they are saying that is to make themselves feel better or make others feel better about them
This post is by a banned member (CaptechPhD) - Unhide
Threads
(02 February, 2024 - 12:45 AM)2BEE Wrote: Show More
The only reason most of the hackers are "law abiding citizen irl" is because they are either built like slenderman or like an overgrown potato, they dont have the guts or abilities to do anything in real life.
Hacking isnt a "victimless" crime and the only reason they are saying that is to make themselves feel better or make others feel better about them

I agree that hacking isn't a victimless crime. Seeing hacking as a victimless crime is a form of rationalization or minimization. These are strategies employed to enable people to do things that they cognitively know cause harm, but they emotionally don't want to experience the impact.