Navigation X
ALERT
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

cracked.io | Best Forum Around | Free Premium Accounts

Fungi That 'Eat' Radiation Are Growing on the Walls of Chernobyl's Ruined Reactors

by NoSleepOG - 09 February, 2020 - 02:22 PM
This post is by a banned member (NoSleepOG) - Unhide
NoSleepOG  
Supreme
Threads
4 Years of service
So the fungi that is growing in the nuclear reactor is a radiotrophic fungi. The fungi is rich in melanin wich absorbs radiation and converts it into other forms of energy.

Source: https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/20...actor.html
This post is by a banned member (InfiniteZ) - Unhide
InfiniteZ  
Registered
Threads
4 Years of service
That's awesome, mushrooms/fungi are extremely powerful.
[Image: MQRm03m.png]
This post is by a banned member (MasterJediRavenXone) - Unhide
Threads
4 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 15 February, 2020 - 03:03 AM by MasterJediRavenXone.)
I thought this was so cool, when I read about it.  But I'm wondering, did this fungi that started to grow, develop there naturally on its own?  Or is it some kind of fungi that scientists discovered and put in the affected area after realizing this would be a potentially better method to deal with the process of fixing a really bad situation?  I always suggested, that Mother Nature always finds a way to recover, whether it be calm or hostile response.  I'm just wondering if she did it on her own or did we (humans) intervene?

I thought this was so cool, when I read about it.  But I'm wondering, did this fungi that started to grow, develop there naturally on its own?  Or is it some kind of fungi that scientists discovered and put in the affected area after realizing this would be a potentially better method to deal with the process of fixing a really bad situation?  I always suggested, that Mother Nature always finds a way to recover, whether it be calm or hostile response.  I'm just wondering if she did it on her own or did we (humans) intervene?
NoSleepOG  
Supreme
Threads
4 Years of service
This is a bump
This post is by a banned member (watersquad) - Unhide
Threads
4 Years of service
It's time for new energy, no one needs nuclear energy anymore
NoSleepOG  
Supreme
Threads
4 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 17 February, 2020 - 10:22 PM by NoSleepOG.)
(16 February, 2020 - 05:07 PM)watersquad Wrote: Show More

I dont think nuclear power is the problem. I mean all the nuclear power related disasters have been because of human errors or natural disasters. Nuclear power is actually very eco friendly if the toxic waste can be managed properly.

(15 February, 2020 - 03:03 AM)MasterJediRavenXone Wrote: Show More

I think the article says that they discovered the fungi so it prolly started growing from itself. Nature has its way of fixing itself
This post is by a banned member (Dreama) - Unhide
Dreama  
Registered
Threads
4 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 18 February, 2020 - 04:28 AM by Dreama.)
That's rad. But then there are also bacteria that eat plastic, so I wasn't too surprised to read the news. Nature is full of wonders and capable of amazing feats!
This post is by a banned member (watersquad) - Unhide
Threads
4 Years of service
(17 February, 2020 - 10:20 PM)RanzyFancy Wrote: Show More
(16 February, 2020 - 05:07 PM)watersquad Wrote: Show More

I dont think nuclear power is the problem. I mean all the nuclear power related disasters have been because of human errors or natural disasters. Nuclear power is actually very eco friendly if the toxic waste can be managed properly.

(15 February, 2020 - 03:03 AM)MasterJediRavenXone Wrote: Show More

I think the article says that they discovered the fungi so it prolly started growing from itself. Nature has its way of fixing itself

There's definitely a lot of truth in what you're saying. But I'm more of an adherent of solar energy or energy created by wind currents.