Navigation X
ALERT
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

cracked.io | Best Forum Around | Free Premium Accounts

Netflix show comparison -- "Haunting of Hill House" vs. "Haunting of Bly Manor"

by Mothra42 - 17 October, 2020 - 01:33 AM
This post is by a banned member (Mothra42) - Unhide
Mothra42  
Registered
Threads
3 Years of service
As the subject says, is one better than the other?  I really liked both, but I'd like opinions from others.

Both have a lot of the same actors, like Henry Thomas, Carla Gugino, Victoria Pedretti and Oliver Jackson-Cohen.  Both come from literature and were made into famous films -- "The Haunting of Hill House" is from Shirley Jackson's novel and there was a famous and creepy 1960s film "The Haunting" based on the novel.  "The Haunting of Bly Manor" is based on Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw" and it's been made into films a number of times, including "The Others" with Nicole Kidman, on which it's somewhat based at least.

Both are scary!  "Hill House" is more straight horror I think, with good acting and lots of screams ans surprises.  While "Bly Manor" is also drama with some romance I'd say.  The plot is complex, very non-linear and gives you breadcrumbs of information that add up to the whole nearer to the end.   But it's still very scary.  I couldn't stop watching and binged the whole thing in a day.

This post is by a banned member (Salah669) - Unhide
Salah669  
Registered
Threads
3 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 17 October, 2020 - 02:59 AM by Salah669.)
Gggdf

Ghgffft
Mothra42  
Registered
Threads
3 Years of service
This is a bump
This post is by a banned member (Takiaze) - Unhide
Takiaze  
Registered
Threads
3 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 27 October, 2020 - 03:04 PM by Takiaze.)
This is a bump bro

Brooooooioi
This post is by a banned member (ginnyhendrix) - Unhide
Threads
3 Years of service
Ooh my kind of post!

I prefer Haunting of Hill House, but only by a fraction. I loved Bly Manor. I feel like Bly Manor isn't trying to be the scariest horror but rather, a gothic love story with horror undertones. In my opinion, it does an outstanding job in achieving that. I particularly loved the character of Hannah, and the episode that revealed her fate was so haunting and upsetting (Flanagan sure loves his Episode 5 big reveals!).

One thing I didn't enjoy in Bly Manor was that a whole episode was dedicated to the lady in the lake. It pulled focus away from the main characters stories and I felt that it could have been covered in a 5 minute opening segment. In comparison, there were no episodes of Hill House that felt unnecessary to me.

I think the harshest critics of Bly Manor forget that even Hill House was more of a study into grief and family trauma (with some terrifying scares mixed in), rather than a straight horror. The way Flanagan develops his characters slowly makes us care about them more, which in turn makes it more frightening when they're being haunted.

Sorry for the long message, I just really enjoy these horror posts haha. Fingers crossed a season 3 is going to happen!
This post is by a banned member (KendraWong) - Unhide
Threads
3 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 07 November, 2020 - 05:04 PM by KendraWong.)
I like the Haunting of Hill House. Because Netflix doesn't support it in my region, I watched it on playtv geh beta download
This post is by a banned member (veround) - Unhide
veround  
Registered
Threads
3 Years of service
I like the Haunting of Hill House. Because Netflix doesn't support it in my region, I watched it on baixar playtv geh
Mothra42  
Registered
Threads
3 Years of service
(07 November, 2020 - 04:18 AM)ginnyhendrix Wrote: Show More
Ooh my kind of post!

I prefer Haunting of Hill House, but only by a fraction. I loved Bly Manor. I feel like Bly Manor isn't trying to be the scariest horror but rather, a gothic love story with horror undertones. In my opinion, it does an outstanding job in achieving that. I particularly loved the character of Hannah, and the episode that revealed her fate was so haunting and upsetting (Flanagan sure loves his Episode 5 big reveals!).

One thing I didn't enjoy in Bly Manor was that a whole episode was dedicated to the lady in the lake. It pulled focus away from the main characters stories and I felt that it could have been covered in a 5 minute opening segment. In comparison, there were no episodes of Hill House that felt unnecessary to me.

I think the harshest critics of Bly Manor forget that even Hill House was more of a study into grief and family trauma (with some terrifying scares mixed in), rather than a straight horror. The way Flanagan develops his characters slowly makes us care about them more, which in turn makes it more frightening when they're being haunted.

Sorry for the long message, I just really enjoy these horror posts haha. Fingers crossed a season 3 is going to happen!

Don't apologize as I loved your post!  What I loved about Hannah's character is that you knew right from the start that there was something off as the woman never ate anything.  It was kind of a throw off...yet not.  It was just strange.  She was truly the heart of the show.  Her fate in itself wasn't particularly surprising.  But the how was awful.

The young actor who played Miles was particularly awesome.  It's difficult for children to play adults in a credible way without just being creepy.  He was creepy anyway to be fair, but his performance when he was Peter was extremely believable, meaning he wasn't creepy just because he was unsuccessfully playing an adult.

I would compare this to Millie Bobby Brown, who some years ago had to channel an older, cantankerous dude on "Intruders."  This was a breakout role for her and it was amazing.  Currently for instance, I've been watching "Star Trek: Discovery" and there's a new character who's young but supposed to be extremely mature due to his having a symbiont.  The actor isn't pulling it off IMO, so he's just creepy.

I also hope there's a season three.  I was trying to think of what horror work they'll go for next, considering it has to involve a haunted properly to at least some degree.  What came to mind was obviously "The Shining."  Or maybe "Hell House" or "House of Leaves"?   Or a good version of "The Amityville Horror" if that's possible.